Thursday, May 29, 2014

Want to see what the inside of a can of worms looks like? Read on....

Maybe I’m wrong, but here’s how I see it.

Let's say, just for the sake of the argument I'm about to start, that:

1.  I make a conscious decision which indirectly causes you to become a part of my life, and I will not be able to end our relationship for approximately 8 months;

2.  You, as a result of my conscious decision, become a part of my life, thereby causing me embarrassment in my community;

3.  You, as a result of my conscious decision, become a part of my life, and will disrupt my plans or career for the duration of our relationship;

4.  You, as a result of my conscious decision, become a part of my life, and will depend on me completely for your survival for the duration of our relationship, but this will inconvenience me;

5.  You, as a result of my conscious decision, become a part of my life, and will require me to tell my friends and family about our relationship, as I cannot keep it a secret indefinitely, and I fear that they may not approve of you;

6.  You, as a result of my conscious decision, become a part of my life, but I am just too busy/embarrassed/career oriented/young/ (insert any other excuse here, no matter how lame) to deal with you, even for the short duration of our relationship;

If any (or how about all) of these things happen, even though our forced relationship is the result of my own conscious decision and I was fully aware that this relationship was a possible effect of that decision, then I should be able to walk up to you, put a bullet between your eyes, and walk away with absolutely no repercussions of any kind.

The reason I can’t legally do this is simple. 

You, as a human being, have a right to life that I cannot take away unless you pose a direct physical threat to me or someone else.  To do so is defined as “murder”.

Murder is legally and morally wrong.

Regardless of your political views or your religious views, we as a society generally agree on one thing:  Murder is legally and morally wrong.

You cannot legally kill another human being unless it is self-defense.  Period.

Unless that human being has not yet been born.  Then it’s OK, right?

Right?

>crickets<

Yeah, I thought so. 

How about this:  If you believe that it is a woman’s right to kill her child, then it is my right to kill you.

No?  Why?


Because murder is legally and morally wrong.  No matter who it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment